Put a spring in your step with this seasonal salad recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
400g Hodmedods British quinoa
25g pumpkin seeds
200g grated beetroot
100g grated carrot
20g fresh mint
A handful of watercress
50ml cider vinegar
Juice 1½ limes
20ml cold pressed rapeseed oil
60ml runny honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1. Cook the quinoa: First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander under running water for a minute or two. In a medium-sized pot, cover the rinsed quinoa with water. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let it rest, still covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover the pot, drain off any excess water and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set it aside to cool.
2. Toast the Pumpkin seeds: In a small pan over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds, season with some salt and stir frequently, until they are fragrant and starting to turn golden on the edges, approx. 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool.
3. Prepare the raw beetroot and carrot: Grate them on a box grater (I use a food processor with the grater attachment to speed things up).
4. Prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk together the cider vinegar, lime, rapeseed oil, honey, and Dijon mustard until emulsified.
5. To assemble the salad: Add the quinoa, grated beetroot and carrot and toasted pumpkin seeds to a large serving bowl and gently toss to combine. You’ll end up with a pink salad if you toss it really well! Gently mix in the roughly chopped watercress and mint leaves (picked from the stem).
6. Finally, pour the vinaigrette over. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.